Timken Museum of Art
1500 El Prado Balboa Park
San Diego, CA 92101
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Saturday: 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Sunday: Noon to 4:30 PM
Closed Mondays and major holidays
The Timken Museum of Art, located in San Diego’s Balboa Park, is the permanent home of the Putnam Foundation's world-class collection of European and American art and Russian icons. Masterworks in the collection span 700 years of history and range from 14th century altarpieces through 18th century portraits and landscapes, to 19th century still lifes. The works of Italian, Dutch, Flemish, French and American painters are represented, including those of Veronese, Guercino, Petrus Christus, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Jacques-Louis David and John Singleton Copley. The collection also includes the only Rembrandt painting on public display in the Southern California area.
What to Know:
- Admission is always FREE!
- Membership: Experience exclusive events and ensure the growth of the Timken
- Docent guided tours are free and can be given in English, Spanish and German
- The Timken is a highly acclaimed example of Mid-Century Modern architecture.
- Art in the Evening: Join distinguished lecturers followed by receptions
- Day trips: Educational day trips to various museums throughout the region
- Art Tales and Mini Masters: Free Family Fun with story tales and art workshops