A Military Base Transformed into New Urban Mixed Use Community
The 361-acre Liberty Station community, which includes 125 acres of parks, open space and a boat channel; shopping villages and restaurants; a 28-acre civic, arts and cultural district; the nine-hole Sail Ho Golf Club; two hotels, and six schools. Nearly 350 families now reside at the pedestrian-friendly Liberty Station and dozens of companies, with hundreds of employees, are doing business here. The spirit of NTC as a celebrated, all-encompassing community lives on at Liberty Station.
The History of Liberty Station
Liberty Station was formerly known as NTC (Naval Training Center). It was first opened as a Naval facility in 1923 and it was stopped being used as an active military base in 1997 when it was designated for closure under the terms of the Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990. In May of 2000, the Navy turned the property over to the City of San Diego. Liberty Station is a collaboration between the City of San Diego Redevelopment Agency and The Corky McMillin Companies. Part of Liberty Station is designated as an Office District - this area covers 22 total acres and allows for a maximum of 380,000 square feet of office space. Over the years the buildings have been painted different colors. The original color was unpainted stucco which was a warm beige. During World War II the buildings were all painted dark green to make them less visible from the air especially at night. Eventually, they were painted a yellow/gold color and now as the buildings are being restored - they are being painted to reflect their original color a warm coral/ beige.