5059 Newport Ave
San Diego, CA 92107
Region: Mission Bay and Beaches
Find your Groove in Ocean Beach
This small beach town is a favorite among locals who spend their days surfing, sunbathing around the pier, hanging out in their vintage VW vans, and strolling through the many surf shops, taco stands and antique malls. Ocean Beach has a throw-back groovy vibe of vintage SoCal, coupled with friendly locals, great dining and micro brews, and a vibrant nightlife scene.
Nestled between the San Diego River and the hills of Point Loma, Ocean Beach is perfect for surfers to enjoy the waves created by jetties. The beach is also friendly for swimmers, sunbathers, even dogs too!
Where to go
- The Pier at the foot of Newport Avenue is one of the longest piers in Southern California, extending a half mile out to sea. Ocean Beach Pier is one of the few places in San Diego where you can fish without a valid California fishing license.
- Dog Beach is wedged between the Mission Bay Harbor Channel and the jetty at the north end of Ocean Beach. Here, pets are not only allowed on the beach, but encouraged to come anytime, cast off their leash and run amok with other canine wave crashers.
- There is a public parking lots located at the foot of Voltaire Street, another lot adjacent to the north end of the beach and Dog Beach, one at the foot of Santa Monica Avenue adjacent to the main lifeguard station, and a large lot at the foot of Newport Avenue, adjacent to the Ocean Beach Pier.
- Street parking is available along Newport Avenue, as well as surrounding residential neighborhoods.
Lifeguards, Bathrooms & Showers
- Ocean Beach has lifeguard-supervised swimming and surfing areas, restrooms, showers and assistance for disabled patrons.
- Surfing, swimming, sun bathing.
- Shopping, dining and nighlife along Newport Beach and Voltaire Street.
- Take the 8 FWY west to Sunset Cliffs Blvd. and turn right on West Point Loma Blvd.
What to Love
- Hamburgers at Hodad's on Newport Avenue.
- There are plenty of places to dine and shop adjacent to the beach - makes for an easy beach-going experience.
- Watching the waves break at Sunset Cliffs.
- Free fishing on the pier - no fishing license required.
What to Know
- Dogs are welcome at most restaurants with outdoor seating.
- Though fun to do, it's best to resist feeding the birds around outdoor eating areas.
- Pay attention to warning signs, especially along the cliffs. They are there for a reason!
- Watch where you walk in the tide pools. The rocks and sea life can cause bodily harm when stepped on.