The San Diego Tourism Authority is a private, non-profit, mutual benefit corporation composed of approximately 900 member organizations, businesses, local governments, and individuals seeking a better community through the visitor industry. San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA) members include tourism-related entities in such categories as lodging, dining, arts & attractions, shopping, and transportation, among others, as well as other companies indirectly involved in the visitor industry.
As a sales and marketing organization, the main objective of SDTA is to promote and market San Diego County as a vacation destination and meetings and convention site. SDTA also represents and supports the interests of the visitor industry as a whole.
General Responsibilities of the Director of Research:
- Maintain organization and operation of all SDTA research and data.
- Collect and review economic and travel industry data for use in developing marketing programs. Evaluate performance on a national, regional and local level. Procure and analyze economic and industry forecasts and projections for the travel industry and San Diego tourism. Develop underlying assumptions and data to support future projections or conditions.
- Manage return on investment for the organization and reporting to the Tourism Marketing District.
- Manage the SDTA stewardship of the visitor industry research and performance.
- Manage field research vendors in the generation of the San Diego Visitor Profile, Ad Effectiveness and ROI, Industry Forecasts, Lodging Database, Market Profiles, focus groups and other custom research projects as assigned.
- Oversee implementation of data analytics platform using Tableau and the data warehouse to improve use of analytics in program decisions and staff efficiency.
- Support media, stakeholder, member and staff requests for data and information.
- Serve as liaison with community groups (Chamber, EDC), research counterparts, and tourism industry personnel to stay abreast of the current economic environment and new developments in the travel industry.
- Speak to outside groups, such as tourism classes or research groups, about the SDTA, research and tourism.
- Minimum of a four-year college degree.
- Ten or more years professional experience in statistics, marketing research and report writing
- Strong analytical experience is essential
- Familiarity w/Revenue Management principles and travel measurement
- Ability to utilize research and data to solve business problems
- Understands market research methodologies, statistics and economic concepts
- Ability to deal directly with the public in response to information requests
- Tableau Desktop experience is preferred
- Knowledge of leisure and hospitality industry preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Access functions.
- Advanced skills in professional communication including verbal, written and public speaking
- Skilled in analyzing complex data
- Ability to perform consistently in a fast-paced, multi-task environment with frequent interruptions
- Ability to achieve goals in high pressure situations
SDTA offers competitive salary and comprehensive benefits.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.