Feel the cool sea air as you glide across the ice rink, then sip hot cocoa as holiday music plays above the roar of nearby waves. San Diego may be known for sunshine and a year-round mild climate, but we still like to throw on our mittens, lace up our skates and get into the holiday spirit. In true San Diego style, beachside ice rinks have become a local favorite holiday pastime from November through January.
Even when it's not the holiday season, indoor ice skating rinks can also be found throughout the region, offering cool fun during warm summer days and all the year 'round.
- Skating by the Sea - Coronado: Don't miss this unique Southern California experience outdoor ice-skating overlooking the Pacific Ocean! Each winter since 2005, the Hotel del Coronado’s oceanfront Windsor Lawn is transformed into a spectacular ice rink with skating sessions offered daily. A portion of the skating proceeds benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of San Diego.
- Rady Children's Ice Rink at Liberty Station: The inviting outdoor environs of Liberty Station in Point Loma serve as an ideal place for taking a whirl across the ice. Skating runs from mid-November to early January. Proceeds benefit the Thriving After Cancer program at the Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego.
- Viejas Outlets - East County: The largest outdoor skating rink in Southern California is at Viejas Outlets from early November to early January. The sprawling outlet center and adjacent casino kick the holiday spirit into overdrive.
- Poway Community Park - North County Inland: Poway's festive annual Winter Festival unfolds over two days in January with fun seasonal happenings, including an outdoor skating rink at Poway Community Park. Price of admission includes a 30-minute session plus skate rental, or you can bring your own ice skates.
- UTC Ice Sports Center - La Jolla: Located within the UTC Shopping Center, UTC Ice is a great place to have some fun after a day's shopping, or just to hit the ice anytime throughout the year. In addition to public skating sessions, the rink offers lessons, hockey leagues and birthday parties.
- San Diego Ice Arena - San Diego: Serving the San Diego community since 1978, San Diego Ice Arena is a great place for family fun on the ice. In addition to public skating sessions, the rink offers skating lessons, hockey leagues and birthday parties. A well-stocked pro shop has everything an ice skater will need.
- Salvation Army Kroc Center - San Diego: The Salvation Army’s Kroc Center Ice Arena is the only ice arena centrally located in the heart of San Diego. A year-round, NHL regulation-sized ice surface, Kroc Center Ice offers public ice skating sessions, learn-to-skate classes, hockey classes, drop-in hockey, youth in-house hockey and adult hockey leagues.
- The Rinks Poway ICE - North County Inland: Located just off Scripps Poway Parkway south of Poway's central district, Poway ICE offers the full range of skating fun — from public sessions to skating lessons to hockey programs. The rink is open year-round, with public skating sessions available most days of the week; admission may be purchased online.