When autumn arrives in Coronado, refreshing bay and ocean breezes sweep over the island, complementing the Crown City's warm fall temperatures, welcoming vibe and relaxed pace. As the beach crowds diminish, visitors can enjoy a number of fun-filled fall activities to enhance their vacation getaway, from Navy ship tours and classic car races to garden parties, a dine-around, entertaining performing arts and more.
GOOD THINGS GROWING
- At the 20th Annual Coronado Main Street Garden Party on September 10, visitors can explore the gardens of one of Coronado's historic homes while enjoying a "Taste of Coronado," featuring food from local restaurants, a wine tasting, entertainment and raffles. Tickets are $75 per person with proceeds supporting Coronado's beautiful median gardens along Orange Avenue, its main thoroughfare.
- Guests can enjoy "island fare in the ocean air" during the popular annual Taste of Coronado on October 12 from 5:30 - 9:00 pm, featuring over 20 local restaurants. Shuttles transport guests between restaurants; tickets are $40 per person, with proceeds benefitting military families.
ART & SOL
- Coronado Art Walk on September 17-18 at the Coronado Ferry Landing is the city's annual celebration of the arts, featuring exhibits of paintings, photography, ceramics, hand-crafted jewelry and other mediums by over 100 artists. Admission is free and a complimentary shuttle transports guests along Orange Avenue, with a stop at the popular Art-in-the-Park in Spreckels Park.
- Lamb's Players' Theatre, Coronado's award-winning, year-round professional theater company with a resident stage on Orange Avenue, presents two fall productions. During August 12 – September 24, Lamb's takes a dramatic turn with the wise and funny play Trying, based on a true story about retired Judge Francis Biddle, the former U.S. Attorney General who headed the Nuremberg Trials, as he dictates his memoirs to a feisty young woman assistant.
During October 7 – November 20, the world premiere musical Servant of Two Masters, based on Carlo Goldoni's Italian comedy classic, takes center stage. Written by David McFadzean, a former Lamb's staff member and creator of TV's "Home Improvement," the hilarious physical comedy is sure to keep audiences in stitches.
- Coronado Playhouse presents two fall shows at its 100-seat cabaret-style theatre overlooking Glorietta Bay: Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, September 2-25, and the musical The Drowsy Chaperone, October 28 – December 4.
- During September 24-25, guests can enjoy free U.S. Navy Ship Tours along with fast-paced fun during the 14th Annual Chrysler Classic Speed Festival, held at the Naval Air Station North Island on Coronado. Held in conjunction with San Diego Fleet Week, this thrilling spectator-friendly vintage auto race features over 200 classic cars racing a 1.6 miles course along North Island's runways.
- Home of famous resident ghost Kate Morgan, the Hotel del Coronado gets into the spirit of the season during its 2nd Annual Hallo-wine and Spirits Party on October 29. On the ghoulishly-decorated Garden Patio, guests can enjoy grown-up trick-or-treating, DJ music and dancing, along with a variety of wine, cheese and chocolate tastings from ENO wine bar.
- Guests can enjoy an elegant Thanksgiving buffet dinner on November 24 at the Hotel del Coronado's oceanfront Ballroom and magnificent Crown Room, decked with all the trimmings and live musical entertainment. Also during Thanksgiving weekend, the Del kicks off its holiday programs, including seaside ice-skating and the illumination of thousands of white lights adorning the grand Victorian structure.
- Guests can celebrate Thanksgiving at Loews Coronado Bay Resort with live music in the lobby and an extravagant buffet dinner from 1:00 - 5:00 pm in the Market Café. From 5:00 - 9:00 pm, Chef Patrick Ponsaty also presents a special three-course menu at Mistral featuring his favorite fall ingredients, in addition to Mistral's fall a la carte menu.
- After dinner, families can gather in the ballroom to enjoy two classic Thanksgiving movies: "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" (6:00 - 8:00 pm) and "Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower" (8:00 - 10:00 pm).
SPORTING GOOD TIME
- The 33rd Annual Superfrog Triathlon jumps into action on September 11. Starting at Silver Strand State Beach, this challenging long-distance triathlon includes a 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike course and 13.1-mile run along one of the most scenic stretches of coastline in Southern California.
- During the 12th Annual Silver Strand Half Marathon and 5K Race on November 13, visitors can run, walk, rollerblade or roller-skate from Coronado to Imperial Beach along the scenic Silver Strand. Register here.
Happiness is calling in Coronado. For more information on Coronado's nightlife and the entire San Diego region, visit the San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau's website, www.sandiego.org and www.sandiego.org/coronado, or call (619) 236-1212.