For San Diego's tourism industry to thrive, it needs to reflect the diversity of the destination, build equity and promote inclusion. Key to those efforts is San Diego Tourism Authority's new Tourism Accelerator, which provides resources for businesses owned by people of color, LGBTQ+, women and veterans. This new program offers a full suite of services designed to help these unique and growing businesses be more successful and better build connections in the local tourism industry.
Sponsored by Bank of America and San Diego Gas & Electric, the Accelerator will offer participants a program of support valued at over $10,000:
- Financial coaching from Bank of America, legal support from Procopio as well as two free quarter-page ads in both the San Diego Business Journal and San Diego Magazine.*
- Complimentary Membership in SDTA and free admission to select SDTA events as well as special access to SDTA senior staff, board members and program investors.
- A voucher for a course through UC San Diego Extension.**
- A $1,000 credit to use on SDTA's digital advertising platforms.
- Coaching from a dedicated mentor who is a successful operator or owner of a tourism or hospitality business.
- Applicants must be tourism and hospitality businesses based in the San Diego region and owned by people of color, LGBTQ+, women or veterans.
- Organizations must have operated for at least one year to qualify.
- Business categories may be, but are not limited to, restaurants, retail, activities and attractions, museums, transportation, and meeting and event services.
- Excluded businesses: Any type of accommodation, airline or cruise line.
- Current or former Members of the San Diego Tourism Authority (and all affiliated organizations) are not eligible.
- A diverse panel, comprised of program sponsors and San Diego Tourism Authority board and staff, will review applications and select participants.
- Aside from being tourism businesses owned by people of color, LGBTQ+, women or veterans, other selection criteria include: viability of the business model, business needs and commitment to community service.
- Businesses not selected are eligible for a 50% discount on SDTA Membership for the current Membership term.
*Current advertisers with San Diego Magazine and the San Diego Business Journal are ineligible for the advertising benefit. Advertisements must run on or before June 30, 2022.
** Maximum value of the voucher is $500.00 towards the enrollment of one (1) class. There is no cash value. If the value of the course selected is below $500.00 there will be no refund on the balance.