A key to building a thriving tourism industry in San Diego is reflecting the diversity of the destination and promoting equity and inclusion. The Tourism Accelerator — the first of its kind — offered by the San Diego Tourism Authority, provides resources for businesses owned by people of color, women and veterans, and those in LGBTQ+ community. This new program offers services designed to help these businesses be more successful and better connected with the local tourism industry.
The Tourism Accelerator will offer participants a program of support valued at over $10,000:
- Coaching and support in the areas of financial, legal support, labor and employment, marketing, digital business profiles, risk management and commercial real estate, as well as two free quarter-page ads in the San Diego Business Journal.*
- Complimentary Membership in SDTA and free admission to select SDTA events as well as special access to SDTA senior staff, board members and program investors.
- A voucher for a course through UC San Diego Extension.**
- A $1,000 credit to use on SDTA's digital advertising platforms.
- Connect with the Accelerator alumni program to network with previous cohorts.
- Free advertising in brochure racks at over 450 locations in San Diego from Certified Folder.
- Applicants must be tourism and hospitality businesses based in the San Diego region and owned by people of color, LGBTQ+, women or veterans.
- Organizations must have operated for at least one year to qualify.
- Business categories may be, but are not limited to, restaurants, retail, activities and attractions, museums, transportation, and meeting and event services.
- Excluded businesses: Any type of accommodation, airline or cruise line.
- Current or former Members of the San Diego Tourism Authority (and all affiliated organizations) are not eligible.
- A diverse panel, comprised of program sponsors and the San Diego Tourism Authority board and staff, will review applications and select participants.
- Aside from being tourism businesses owned by people of color, LGBTQ+, women or veterans, other selection criteria include: viability of the business model, business needs and commitment to community service.
- Businesses not selected are eligible for a 50% discount on SDTA Membership for the current Membership term.
- The deadline to apply is Jan 20, 2023.
*Current advertisers with the San Diego Business Journal are ineligible for the advertising benefit. Advertisements must run on or before December 31, 2023.
** Maximum value of the voucher is $500.00 towards the enrollment of one (1) class. There is no cash value. If the value of the course selected is below $500.00 there will be no refund on the balance.