Appendix: Rules and Regulations
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. By entering this Promotion, entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification. All decisions of the judges regarding this Promotion are final and binding in all respects.
- PROMOTION PERIOD. Promotion begins 1:00 a.m. PST on 05/04/2013 and ends 10:00 a.m. PST on 05/13/2013 when all entries must be received ("Promotion Period").
- ELIGIBILITY. The sweepstakes is open to all American citizen nationals or any other lawful permanent or temporary residents of the United States who are 21 years old or older at the time of travel and certificate redemtion. Employees of the San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA) and other sweepstakes sponsors, their advertising agencies and immediate families are not eligible to enter. The SDTA and other sponsors will not be responsible for late or misdirected, damaged, illegible or lost entries or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All entries become the property of the San Diego Tourism Authority and Sponsors.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION With one (1) picture and 200 words or less, tell a positive story about how San Diego tourism has benefited you. Stories will be judged based off of showing the San Diego tourism industry in a positive light (50%), the personal importance of tourism to entrant (20%), creativity of storytelling (20%), and execution of grammar, spelling and composition (10%) by a panel of selected judges from the San Diego Tourism Authority on or around 05/13/2013. There will be one grand prize winner. Any potential winner will be notified by mail, email and/or telephone. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within one (1) day from the date the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her, and/or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to win the Contest or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner may be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Contest, including without limitation the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability releases and disclaimers, such individual will be declared the "winner" of the Contest. Potential winner must execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Liability form and provide a copy of the potential winner's driver's license or suitable photo ID and proof of social security number or taxpayer identification number within 10 days of notification via pre-paid Federal Express and/or facsimile. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. Decision of judges is final. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received.
- PRIZE DESCRIPTION. There will be one grand prize. The Approximate Retail Value (ARV) for the grand prize is $2,700. The grand prize is a 2-night stay for four (4) people at the Grand Colonial Hotel, Passport to Balboa Park for four (4) people, Admission and "Inside Look Tour" at the San Diego Zoo for four (4) people, 2 and a half hour Beer Tasters Tour with BrewHop Tours for four (4) people, round of golf at Maderas Golf Club for four (4) people, and 2 hour surf lessons at Surf Diva for four (4) people. Winner and travel companions must travel on the same itinerary. Ground transportation, additional meals, in-room or other personal charges at lodging (e.g., mini-bar, movies), telephone calls, gratuities, incidentals, and all other expenses are not included. Winner and travel companion must be available to travel on the same itinerary. Trip must be booked and completed by 05/01/2014 and may be subject to certain other restrictions, including without limitation blackout dates. Sponsor will attempt to accommodate winner's preferred itinerary, but all specifics thereof will be at Sponsor's sole discretion. Prize is not transferable. No substitutions of prize allowed by winner, but Sponsors reserve the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value.
- TAXES. All federal, state and/or local income and other taxes, if any, are the winner's sole responsibility. Winner must fill out a W-9 and return to Sponsor.
- ADDITIONAL RULES: By submitting a story and picture the winner and travel companions consent to use of their names, likenesses, photographs and voices for editorial, advertising, promotional and publicity purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law. Entrants further grant to the San Diego Tourism Authority and Sponsors the right to use their proper name and state online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Sweepstakes. Tennessee residents need not sign Publicity Release. Winner agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless the San Diego Tourism Authority, all media outlets, sweepstakes sponsors, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any liability or claims for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising out of the acceptance, use, misuse or the possession of the prize received. The trip winner is required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release of Liability form prior to release of the trip package. The winner's travel companions and guests are required to sign a Trip Companion Release of Liability form and return with winner's documents. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply. Neither San Diego Tourism Authority nor Sponsors will replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers, or certificates.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Contest entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the judging organization, which are final on all matters pertaining to the Sweepstakes. This Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of the United States and is void where restricted or prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Travel companion must travel on same itinerary and at the same time as winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
- CONDUCT: By entering this Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Official Rules will be posted at the Contest Site throughout the Contest. Entrants further agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. San Diego Tourism Authority reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the game or web site; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SAN DIEGO TOURISM AUTHORITY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH CONTESTANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: SDTA and Sponsors are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by web site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submission in the Contest. SDTA and Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or authorized access to, or alteration of, entries. SDTA and Sponsors are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line-systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of SDTA and Sponsors, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, SDTA and Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
- WINNER LIST. For the name of the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope by December 1, 2013, to: Winner List, "Tourism works 4 me" San Diego Story Contest, c/o San Diego Tourism Authority, 750 B Street Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101. Attn: Maren Severtson.